8956 Kemmel (Heuvelland)
01 January - 31 December
Closed until the end of 2023 for conversion work.
Kemmel is a very old parish close to Kemmelberg (156m) inhabited previously by the Celts. Like the rest of the area it suffered under the Gueux and during the First World War.
The neo-Gothic church of Saint Laurent is in a place named the “Dries” and is surrounded by chestnut trees. It has three naves and an imposing tower reinforced with buttresses. It was built in 1925 after the plans of the architect E Dumont.
Inside there are several treasures: neo-Gothic furnishings, 17th Baroque baptismal fonts in marble and several paintings including “the Martyrdom of Saint Laurent” by Jeremias Mittendorf (17th century) and “the Adoration of the Magi”(17th century) attributed by some to Jacob Jordaens.