Church | 1907-1910 | Neogothic | Roman Catholic Church
01 July - 31 August
Thu 13.30 - 17.30
Fri 13.30 - 17.30
Sat 13.30 - 17.30
Sunday : 10:00
This protected church, located at the ‘Paardenmarkt’ (the horse market) is in the Neo-Gothic style. It dates from the beginning of the 20th century. The builders were inspired by the cathedrals of Strasbourg and by the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris.
The church has a wealth of paintings, among others ‘Saint Francis welcomes the Baby Jesus’) (P.P. Rubens, 1614), ‘Adoration of the Baby Jesus by the Penitents’ (G. Seghers, 1640), ‘The Flight into Egypt’ (J. Jordaens, 17th century) and the retable ‘Our Lady of Good Help’ (P. De Roeck, 20th century). These treasures came from the demolished Church of Saint Walburge and from the old church of the Capuchin friar. The non-profit organisation the ‘Vrienden van Sint-Antonius’ is taking care of the restoration of this piece of our cultural heritage.
Each year people come to admire the Christ Child’s crib. Saint Anthony of Padua, born in Lisbon in 1195, is the patron saint of the Franciscans. He is beseeched for help against shipwrecks, the plague and fevers.