1457 Nil-Saint-Martin (Walhain)
Church | 1776 | Renaissance | Roman Catholic Church
01 June - 31 August
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
The bell tower is recognizable from afar by its green colour which gives it its original aspect. In 1933, the parish priest Anatole Carpentier replaced the roof of the bell tower with copper plates from Katanga, at a time when Congolese colonization made it possible to obtain quality materials at an advantageous price. This work was carried out by the firm R. and M. Boon from Anderlecht.
This statue dates back to the Burgundian period (+-1475) and may have been manufactured in a Leuven workshop called "the master of the Madonna of Piétrebais". The Virgin holds the Child against her with her right hand, and tenderly supports his foot with her left hand. The Child holds in his left hand an apple of the Tree of Knowledge, symbol of the original sin. Parishioners invoke her under the name of Our Lady of Reconciliation in order to solve conflicts between relatives or neighbours.
The Christ is from the Renaissance period (+-1550). The oak cross, dated 1614, is 3 m high and 1.50 m wide ; it replaced the original cross. In the same style is the cartouche bearing the inscription INRI and the Golgotha, adorned with a skull, which holds the cross by the base. The feet of Christ are fixed side by side, each with its own nail.
The high altar dates back to 1787. It is made of oak and raises its columns and polychrome sculptures up to the vault representing the sky. This altar was marbled in 1790 by M.N.J. Charlier. The tabernacle was manufactured in Namur by M.F.J. Denis in October 1790. Its door is decorated with the Blessed Sacrament and three small angels. It is surrounded by vines and ears of corn, evoking bread and wine. Just above the tabernacle, a Christ on the cross stands on a globe crowned with the symbol of death, with two little angels at his sides. The Holy Spirit spreads Its wings over him. Higher up, two angels and a pelican offering its blood.
The Pulpit was built in 1793 by Nicolas Courtois, woodworker in Mont-Saint-Guibert. The front, decorated with foliage, includes a medallion representing the Good Shepherd and a second medallion illustrating trophies of objects of worship. The spiral banister of the staircase is decorated with various sculptures. Over the sounding board, angels sound the trumpet. At the bottom of the sounding board is a pelican, symbol of total generosity.
The organ was built by Mr. Anneessens, native of Ninove, in 1873. The organ buffet was designed from a plan drawn up by Mr. Coulon, provincial architect in Nivelles. It has a 16-foot bourdon, like that of the neighbouring parish of Nil-Saint-Vincent, which was built by the same organ builder Anneessens.