Rue du Bois de Buis
1457 Sart-Walhain (Walhain)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 8.00 - 18.00
The baptismal font of blue stone, flanked by four grimacing heads symbolizing the rivers of creation, dates back to 1500-1510 and was found buried in the cemetery by gravediggers preparing a tomb...
The main altar has an interesting characteristic : its central niche is pivoting. Behind this niche is a cavity which could hold a monstrance (a goldsmith's piece intended to exhibit a consecrated host) so that the servers of mass could make it appear without touching it. This device made it possible to prepare the Eucharistic adoration ceremony in the absence of a priest (the only one authorized to handle the Blessed Sacrament).
On the right hand altar stands the statue of Martin de Tours, the patron saint of the parish, dressed as a bishop. The work, of polychrome carved wood, is full of life. The movement of the saint, one foot forward, slightly bent towards the faithful, is characteristic of the religious art of the very beginning of the 18th century.
Another ancient statue is that of Saint Anthony the Great, a 4th century monk who was the first Christian hermit. Mostly known for his temptations, he is often represented since the 14th century with a pig (by assimilation to the Antonine monks of the Dauphiné whose pigs wore a necklace with a bell?). The modern painting of the work conceals the original polychromy (circa 1850), richer in nuances.
The Virgin and Child of the North Altar, with her 19th century doll's face, is a processional statue which has always been dressed in real clothes. She went out every year in procession (among reverent people) through the village, on the feast of the Assumption (August 15).
1457 Walhain-Saint-Paul (Walhain)
10.00 - 17.00 Open
1457 Nil-Saint-Martin (Nil-Saint-Vincent-Saint-Martin) (Walhain)
10.00 - 18.00 Open
1370 Mélin (Jodoigne)
08.00 - 18.00 Open