Stalingradlaan / Rue de Stalingrad 34
1000 Brussel / Bruxelles
01 January - 31 December
Mon 17.00 - 19.00
Tue 17.00 - 19.00
Wed 17.00 - 19.00
Thu 17.00 - 19.00
Sat 16.00 - 18.30
Sun 9.00 - 13.00
Key at the Churchoffice : 26 rue R. van der Weyden
+32 2 736 86 59 +32 2 736 42 86
The Orthodox cathedral to the holy archangels Saints Michael and Gabriel, located 700 m from the Grand Place of Brussels, is the former church of the Jesuit Fathers in the district of Saint-Jean-Berchmans. The edifice dates from the 19th century (1874) and the restoration works have made it possible to continue to retain Roman Catholic characteristics such as the stained glass windows (two stunningly beautiful rose windows) as well as a Way of the Cross.
The iconostasis, the fundamental expression of the Orthodox faith, stands like a frontier between two worlds: the divine and the human, the everlasting and the temporary. To the right of the Royal Doors, Christ and the Forerunner; to the left, the Holy Virgin Mary and the Archangels (the first three usual figures of every iconostasis, given their role in the salvation of the world, and the fourth representing the protector(s) of the church). The doors that lead to the ‘Diakoniko’ and to the Prosthesis are adorned with icons to a figure. The highest part of the iconostasis is occupied by the twelve evangelical scenes from the life of Christ and of the Théotokos (Mother of God), the famous Dodekaorto (the twelve feast days). Around 150 icons can be counted in the entire church.
Finally, the Cathedral has the enormous privilege of housing the relics of St Nectarius of Egina as well as the relics of Saints Raphael, Nicholas and Irene of Lesbos. The latter saints draw the veneration of large numbers of the faithful.