The first mention of Lieler was made in the 12th century in connection with the possessions of Prüm Abbey. The locality attained the rank of a parish only in 1807. The chancel is undoubtedly the oldest part of the church. It also served as a tower and dates from the 14th century. It is constructed in Gothic style and has Gothic rib vaulting. The oldest frescos date from around 1500. The most recent, a Madonna on the left, was added in the 17th century. The nave was rebuilt in 1849/50. The present appearance of the whole church is the result of the restoration work carried out in 1953/54.