Place de Brogne 1
5640 Saint-Gérard (Mettet)
01 July - 31 August
Sat 14.00 - 16.00
Sun 14.00 - 16.00
And all the year by appointment :
M. Genard +32 478 31 01 80 - email@example.com
Sunday 10.30 am
See notice board at church entrance
The first church dedicated to Saint Peter was built in the 10th century by Saint Gerard. According to tradition this Merovingian building would have been built by Pepin of Herstal and consecrated by Saint Lambert at the end of the 7th century. Of this original church, enlarged in the 10th century an apse, uncovered in 2007 in the southern sacristy, and some elevated walls remain.
From the outside the building is now an inharmonious mixture of sandstone and limestone blocks. It is gothic but later changes like the 17th century choir, the 19th century tower and the 19th and 20th century sacristies are apparent.
The entrance is only through the clock tower built in 1857. The interior has one nave separated from the aisles by columns which delimit three bays. The bays in tierce-point illuminate the building. The interior is baroque with a stucco ceiling dating from 1750.
The furnishings are noteworthy especially the 17th century high altar and pulpit, a large Christ from the early 16th century and a 17th century polychrome statue of Saint Peter.
This church hosts exhibitions.
Characteristic of the Baroque style, it dates from the 18th century. The altarpiece represents a Cross Deposition. The tabernacle with its rotating display comes from the abbey church of Brogne. It was placed at the beginning of the 19th century to replace the old one dating from 1726.
These remains (re)discovered in 2007 by joint excavations of the Walloon Region and the University of Auxerre attest to the age of the church. They belong to a building with 3 naves dating from the 11th century.
Born in 1665 from Philippeville, Eugène Massart was a monk of Saint-Gérard from 1685 to 1736. Since 1696 he became parish priest. A great scholar, Dom Massart was fascinated by the region and devoted himself to creating a detailed manuscript dedicated to the history of the abbey and its time.
This pulpit in Louis XV style is the work of Gilles-Gaspard Piérard, master carpenter at Bouvignes. He produced numerous joinery furniture for several churches in the region: Lesves, Bioul and Sosoye. In Saint-Gérard, apart from the pulpit, there is also the panelling of the choir and perhaps the tabernacle of the northern side altar.
This great Christ dates from the early 16th century. It probably comes from the abbey church of Brogne.
Detours and other pilgrimages in Namur (loop 3) - Extending the walk after the Benedictine abbeys, you will discover an ancient place of pilgrimage, the abbey of Brogne, erected in homage to Saint Gerard who did so much for the village that it took its name from the seventeenth century, thus becoming "Saint-Gérard".