01 January - 31 December
Tue 14.30 - 18.30
Fri 14.30 - 18.30
Sat 14.30 - 19.00
2d and 4th Saturday ot the month : 6 pm
Tuesday : 6.00 pm
Although the present building dates from the 12th century, eduring excavations in 1971, a Merovingian basilica from the early 6th century was found underneath it.
The church is dedicated to Saint Piat who was the first evangelical martyr of Tournai, where he was decapitated. Legend has it that he continued on his way with his head in his hands. It is like this that he is shown.
The central nave is Romanesque and the choir is 13th century Gothic. Since then there have been several additions, most notably the 17th century side chapels which are decorated with paintings dedicated to the cult of Our Lady of Alsemberg and also Saint Hubert. Five paintings, the work of Hennequin, relate the story of the patron saint of the Ardennes.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
The two 17th century side portals are surmounted by the portraits of their donors: Etienne Dailly and his wife Jeanne Delmotte. The complex once formed the fence of the Notre-Dame d'Alsemberg chapel.
Precious work in the Louis XV style in repoussé silver (1759) by the goldsmith Ghislain Jospeh Dally from Turin. It was restored in 1986. In 2014, it will return to its rightful place in its secure chapel.
A local brotherhood made the journey from Tournai to Alsemberg every year, starting in 1646, on the day of the dedication. From now on, the statue is carried each year through the city by young girls and women of the parish at the Great Procession in September.
The painted panels of the chapel tell the story of the miraculous intervention of St. Elizabeth of Hungary in 1229, with the Duke of Brabant to have a chapel built in Alsemberg, near Brussels.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Made in 1957 by Leo Brom, a goldsmith from Utrecht, it is decorated with enamels representing: Saint Gregory the Great, Saint Remi of Reims, Saint Denis of Paris and Saint Amand, as well as scenes from the life of Saint Piat and the arms of Tournai and Seclin.
Piato de Benevent (Italy - 3rd century) is considered as the first evangelizer of Tournai. He was also the first martyr. Begged by the Roman soldiers, according to legend, he was taken off (scalpa); he fled by the road from Tournai to Seclin carrying his skull and was buried there. For the past year, this path has been known as Europiat. The reliquary bust represents him unharmed before his martyrdom and not as a cephalophore.
The high baroque altarpiece houses the statue of the Virgin Mary, by Etienne Dailly (17th century).
The painting depicts Christ on the cross, after Van Dyck by Van Ost (1640). It comes from the chapel of the citadel.
The only preserved of this type that can only be found in Tournai, it bears the Gothic inscription: + GUILLAUMES OF GRAMMES AND JEHANS LI DOULS YARNS HELLIN GIVE THIS Eagle IN MCCCC AND III.
This Renaissance and Baroque 17th century tribune, on ringed columns, features a decoration of cherubs and grotesques. It combines Tournai stone, white and black marble and oak.