Place de la Chapelle
7070 Le Roeulx
01 March - 31 October
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 8.00 - 18.00
01 November - 28 February
Mon 9.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 16.00
Wed 9.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 16.00
Sun 9.00 - 16.00
Sunday 10.45 am
This Neo-Gothic church, which was completed in 1869, is in the form of a Latin cross with three naves of four bays, each with its own roof. The family of the Princes of Croy were major contributors to its construction and a chapel is dedicated to them.
Apart from the numerous tombstones of this well known princely family, the church also has a shrine to the Irish evangelising monk, saint Feuillien , a statue of him and some very fine stained-glass windows from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.
Near the sacristy, there is a shrine containing a relic - the lower jaw - of Saint Feuillien. When, at the end of the 12th century, a parish was founded in the modest new town of Roeulx, it had to be attributed to a saint. It would have been legitimate to dedicate it to Feuillien, an Irish monk who died a martyr on our Rhodian soil. However, the abbey church of Saint-Feuillien had already existed for about fifty years. The father-abbé of Saint-Feuillien at the time (around 1170) was called Nicolas. What a wonderful opportunity to give your own first name to this new consecrated church and thus to go down in history!
A 145 cm high statue of Saint Feuillien[without any certainty] dated from the 17th century, in baroque stone, stands in the central nave. It was in 1125 that the Norbertine Abbey of Saint-Feuillien was founded on the site of his martyrdom. This one disappeared following the torments of the French Revolution on March 1, 1797.
The organ was founded in 1886. In 1922 it was restored by the organ builder Delmotte from Tournai. It was renovated again in the course of the previous years.
The baptismal font is of very fine workmanship. It consists of a small granite shell covered with a brass lid representing a cross- and standard-bearing lamb with the mention "Le Roeulx 1926".
The four-dial watch was built by a resident of Le Roeulx, François Losson, mechanic, and was executed according to the drawings and under the supervision of Prince Emmanuel de Croÿ, who had a thorough knowledge of the watchmaking.
Three other watches were made in this chateau workshop: one for his own chateau in Le Roeulx, one for the Saint Jacques hospital and one for the town hall.
The north side altar, dedicated to the Virgin, dates from the late 19th century; the south side altar, known as the "saints' altar" and dated from the same period, was painted by Léopoldine de Croÿ after a work - according to IRPA - by Andréa di Cione. The main altar illustrates scenes from both the New and Old Testaments.
Note the 7 stained glass windows in the choir designed by Samuel Coucke from Bruges for Christmas 1869. Offered by various members of the Croÿ family, they evoke the essential moments of the four Gospels. Of particular note is the preponderance of blue and purple tones with exceptional and qualified shades, by specialists, as quite unique and of very good workmanship!
7110 Houdeng-Aimeries (La Louvière)
09.00 - 16.00 Open
7110 Houdeng-Goegnies (La Louvière)
7110 Bois-du-Luc / Houdeng-Aimeries (La Louvière)
7110 Strépy-Bracquegnies (La Louvière)
08.00 - 15.00 Open
7100 La Louvière
08.00 - 18.00 Open