Chaussée de Louvain 99
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 13.00 • 17.30 - 19.00
Wed 17.30 - 19.00
Thu 10.00 - 13.00 • 17.30 - 19.00
Fri 17.30 - 19.00
Sat 10.00 - 12.30
Sun 10.00 - 12.30
Saturday 6 pm
Sunday 11 am
The church of Saint Josse is a landmark at the heart of the commune. This imposing Neo-Baroque building was inaugurated in 1891.In 1830, at the time of Belgian independence, Saint-Josse was a village of only two thousand inhabitants which then grew rapidly with the expansion of Brussels so that sixty years later it had around thirty thousand inhabitants. This explains the building of this church which replaced a small, old rural one.
Its façade illustrates the prosperity and dynamism of the larger Brussels area at this period. The church of the Beguinage of Brussels inspired its architecture.
Inside are stained glass windows and paintings depicting biblical scenes and the life of saints including Saint Josse, patron saint of the parish and 7th century hermit. In the choir, the painting on the high altar is a copy of the Assumption of the Virgin by Rubens. Also worth seeing is a sculpted Stations of the Cross, donated by eminent parishioners of the time and the organs, at the centre of which is David playing the harp accompanied by four angels.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
In the chancel, the focus is on the high altar, surmounted by a painting. It is 11 metres high and comes from the Notre-Dame-de-la-Chapelle church in Brussels. It was made in 1618, after drawings of Pierre Paul Rubens and is a copy of P. P. Rubens' "Assumption of the Virgin Mary".
The stained glass window on the east side (on the Rue Saint-Josse side) shows us, in its upper part, the Ascension of Christ, and in its lower part, Saint Josse offering to the Virgin and child his sceptre and his crown. In the background, we can see the former church of Saint-Josse (demolished in 1865).
A polychrome wooden statue, dating from the late 19th century, of Saint Josse in monastic habit, carrying the staff and the gourd, offering in his raised right hand his sceptre and his crown.