Rue de l'Eglise
01 June - 30 September
Fri 14.00 - 18.00
Sat 14.00 - 18.00
Sun 14.00 - 18.00
Saturday 6.30 pm
Sunday morning (once a month)
Situated in the centre of the village of Hermaville, a « Village-Patrimoine », in an authentic and green setting, the church of St. Georges was listed as a Historical Monument in 1926. The building was rebuilt in 1782 ( nave and sanctuary) on the site of the previous church, whose architecture is known due to the water-colour drawings of the albums of Croy (no. 18) which represented the village at the beginning of the 17th century.
To reach the building it is necessary to cross the parish enclosure, and before entering, to admire the « porch-belfry » and its carved hooks on the steeple (1629).
Inside, the visitor is surprised by the light and airyness of the church, in spite of its sizeable dimensions for a village church.
In the neo-classical style, without a transept, it has three naves, abundently lit by contemporary stain-glass windows. Banners on the walls remind us of the existence since the end of the 19th century, of a local devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
In the sanctuary the two wooden statues by local artists represent Saint Antony and Saint Nicolas, and the baptismal font ( Renaissance), an 18th century communion bench, a beautiful ceramic « Stations of the Cross », a luminous stained glass window with the arms of Marshal Randon, are some of the elements of a decor which surprises with its great sobriety.
The church is the starting point for walks in the village and the surrounding countryside.