9220 Moerzeke (Hamme)
01 April - 31 October
Mon 8.00 - 19.00
Tue 8.00 - 19.00
Wed 8.00 - 19.00
Thu 8.00 - 19.00
Fri 8.00 - 19.00
Sat 9.00 - 19.00
Sun 9.00 - 19.00
01 November - 31 March
Mon 8.00 - 17.00
Tue 8.00 - 17.00
Wed 8.00 - 17.00
Thu 8.00 - 17.00
Fri 8.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
Holidays in summer : 9.00 - 19.00
Holidays in winter : 9.00 - 17.00
Wednesday : 5 pm
Every Sunday at 3 pm : adoration and rosary
Every first Sunday of the month at 3 pm :
elaborate wake with adoration and rosary
Every first Saturday of the month :
4 pm : rosary and opportunity for Confession
4.30 pm : Eucharist
The earthly remains of the Flemish priest Edward Poppe were interred in the chapel of Pius X, . Edward Poppe (born on 18 December 1890 – died on 10 June 1924) defended the poor and the young. He was the spiritual guide of seminarists doing their military service and the director of the schools of nursing. He founded “de Eucharistische Kruistochten” (the Eucharistic crusades), a movement of young people that merged with the Chiro in 1950. As a religious educator, he wrote the catechism “Bij de Kindervriend” (With the friend of children).
After several heart attacks, Edward Poppe died at the age of 33. His funerary chapel, as well as the museum (which is dedicated to him) in Moerkerke and his monument in Temse, have become pilgrimage sites. In 1999, Edward Poppe was beatified by Pope John Paul II. The process of sanctification, under the direction of the postulant Mgr. Dirk Smet, is still under way.
The ‘ommegang’ of Father Poppe, which is held around the Church of Saint Martin, consists of a procession during which statues make reference to what he said and wrote.
According to the plans of architect J. Lantsoght. The first stone was laid on 23 October 1960. The chapel blessing and altar consecration took place on 10 September 1961. The solemn transfer of Priest Poppe's body from the cemetery to the new tomb in the chapel took place on 9 September 1962.
The apocalyptic Mystic Lamb that freed mankind by his death on the cross. The Lamb is on the lifebook with the seven stamps. This book can only be opened by the blood dripping from the cross sacrifice and by the grace of the Holy Spirit (the dove).
On the door is an ancient Eucharistic symbol: the pelican in the nest who feeds his two young with his own blood. A reference to Christ, the Great Pelican, who feeds souls with his own body and blood.
The grave of Blessed Priest Poppe is located in the choir between the statue of Mary and the altar. " From Mary to Jesus", Poppe preached so often. "From Jesus we get everything through Mary". On his grave is the motto of Priest Poppe: "It's better to die than to serve God only halfway".
Edward Poppe was born on 18 December 1890 in Temse. He died at the age of 33, on 10 June 1924 in Moerzeke. He was only two years a vicar in Ghent, four years a rector of the sisters in Moerzeke and a little more than one year a spiritual director of the seminarians in military service in Leopoldsburg.
Even before his funeral Cardinal Mercier ordered that a detailed biography be made of him. In 1945 the bishop of Ghent announced the opening of the diocesan beatification process. In Rome, the papal trial on the heroism of virtues was concluded on 30 June 1986 with the decree by which the Pope declared Pope Priest Poppe venerable. On 3 October 1999 he was solemnly beatified on St. Peter's Square in Rome by Pope John-Paul II. The liturgical feast day of Blessed Edward Poppe is celebrated on 10 June.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Every day many pilgrims come to pray for the intercession of Priest Poppe and burn a candle for their intentions. The bust of Blessed Priest Poppe is central here. The burial chapel is dedicated to Pope Saint Pius X. The mosaic with his image is hung at the entrance. The two smaller mosaics at the bottom illustrate two decrees by Pius X: about the frequent communication of adults and about the early First Communion of children.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator