In the heart of the Perche region, the church of St. Sauveur, completely listed as a Historical Monument, is situated in the medieval centre of the small town of Belleme. The present building, rebuilt in 1648 and the following years by the parish council, succeeded a Romanesque chapel. An imposing porch bell-tower, for which time must be taken to admire all the details, is the facade of this beautiful building that is 48 m. long.
The interior of the church was entirely restored and richly decorated during the 19th century. The nave, with 8 richly decorated chapels, is roofed with an impressive wooden structure in the shape of an overturned boat hull. The choir/sanctuary, whose walls are covered with woodwork that came from the Chartreuse of Val-Dieu, continues with a five sided apse. The admirable main altar (1702) by Michel Chevalier, is in white stone from the Perche and black marble from Sablé, with gilded and polychrome wood. The central painting (1705) is the work of the Parisian painter Jacques Oudry.
The monumental baptismal fonts of 1684, is carved of chalk stone with stucco ornaments and is an original work by the master-carver from Le Mans, Durand. The triple cistern, decorated with leaves, leans against a reredo with three panels decorated with carvings and statues; in the centre the Baptism of Christ, and in the side recesses are angels. Red marble columns frame it all.