9968 's Gravenjansdijk - Bassevelde (Assenede)
Limited opening hours duet o renovation works. Open during events or on request.
Information : Peter Geirnaert +32 479 87 85 91
This Neo-Gothic church has three naves and a tower on its south east side. After the parish of ‘sGravenjansdijk was created in 1904, a wooden church was built which served temporarily until another brick one was constructed after the plans of the architect Henri Valcke de Ledeberg. Some restoration was done in 1955, for example to the tower, to repair damage caused by the war in 1944.
In 1978 the stained glass windows in their turn were restored. Four windows coming from a neighbouring convent’s chapel had been incorporated into the transept windows. At the same time the murals were refurbished.
These polychrome frescoes harmonise remarkably with the red brick of the ribbed vault and contrast with the blue stone of the ribs themselves.
The neo gothic furnishings include the high altar in black marble, its altar piece in wood with groups of polychrome statues; the Calvary in the centre , the Last Supper on the left and the laying in the tomb on the right. Also noteworthy is the Stations of the Cross by Aloïs De Beule.
Both the main and side altars are made of black marble and are crowned with oak altarpieces. These consist of a polished chrome statue group in neo-Gothic style. They are part of the church furniture made by Sinaeve-Dhont and placed in 1914.
The original stained glass windows were designed and manufactured between 1920 and 1929 by Hendrik Coppejans from Ghent. In 1978 the church windows of the transept were restored. Part of the material used for this was stained-glass windows from a neighbouring monastery chapel.
The statue of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady was made by Charles Henri Geerts in 1855. This can be deduced from the signature on the foot of the statue. The statue stands on a wooden pedestal behind the baptismal font in the left aisle. The Madonna stands on a snake, symbolizing the evil of the world.
These angels were made around 1750 and stand on both sides of the main altar. They are both made of wood and finished with a white layer of paint. The baroque angels contrast sharply with the neo-Gothic interior of the church.
Sustainable materials were used in the construction of the church. The vaults, which are so characteristic of this building, were constructed from cut red bricks from Boom. The use of bluestone for the supporting pillars contrasts sharply with this brick.
The Stations of the Cross were made by Aloïs De Beul (1861-1935) in 1902. This is known by the signature on the seventh station: "A.D.B./Anno/1902".