01 January - 31 December
Mon 8.00 - 17.00
Tue 8.00 - 17.00
Wed 8.00 - 17.00
Thu 8.00 - 17.00
Fri 8.00 - 17.00
Sat 8.00 - 17.00
Sun 8.00 - 17.00
+32-9-364 64 64 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Zottegem, which is located in the valley of the Zwalm, is an old fief of the Egmont family. Lamoral, Count of Egmont (1522 – 1568) was the Captain General of Flanders. He was beheaded on the orders of the Duke of Alba on the Grand-Place of Brussels in 1568 following a revolt of the Low Countries against Philip II of Spain. The Count of Egmont had a castle in Zottegem and five years before his death he had a ceremonial tomb established for himself in the Church of the Assumption. The crypt in the north lateral choir was discovered in 1804 during the construction of a new high altar. Numerous paintings and statues which are found in the city refer to the Count of Egmont.
The Church of the Assumption can be seen from afar thanks to its magnificent Rococo lantern tower with its 48 bells. The carillon can be heard every quarter of an hour, as well as on Thursdays and Saturdays in concerts.
The church took on its current configuration in 1750, after several catastrophes and numerous transformations, due to which only the Gothic choir and the central nave were saved. In 1750, the lateral naves and the west tower were erected; from this period date as well a confessional, the cathedra and the baptismal fonts. In 1855, the lateral choirs and the sacristies were built; in 1864, the tower was renovated and in 1886, the west façade was rebuilt in the Neo-Gothic style. The Neo-Gothic altars from the 20th century are the work of Leopold Blanchaert (Sint-Denijs-Westrem).
Plans for expansion have been rejected four times. The lack of room has been solved by the construction of two new churches.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library on-line
9620 Grotenberge (Zottegem)
9620 Velzeke (Zottegem)
9550 Sint-Lievens-Esse (Herzele)
9630 Munkzwalm (Zwalm)
9660 Elst (Brakel)