9790 Wortegem (Wortegem-Petegem)
01 March - 30 October
Mon 10.00 - 16.00
Tue 10.00 - 16.00
Wed 10.00 - 16.00
Thu 10.00 - 16.00
Fri 10.00 - 16.00
Sat 10.00 - 16.00
The hall church was built on a hill and is surrounded by a walled cemetery. The foundations and the bottom parts of the choir and tower are possibly the remains of a Romanesque church from the thirteenth century. The tower was renovated in the fifteenth century and the church was extended in the sixteenth century with a transept and side aisles. During the nineteenth century the church was further extended and modified to meet the current needs. In 1883, architect A. Van Assche (Gent) drew the plans for a neo-Gothic church. His pupils J. De Pue and K. Bucquoy executed his plans and that is how the church obtained its present-day neo-Gothic style in 1905-1909.
The age of the tower is also still visible on the inside where you can see the beautifully decorated corner corbels and three tombstones, which are from the same period, can also be found in the church.
A striking feature from the interior are the painted wooden ceilings of the nave and the aisles. Another remarkable feature are the small carved wooden heads just below the arch in the choirs.
The detailed carving of Saint Roch on the main and side altar was done by Lelan-De Clercq from Kortrijk. The altars date back to 1909, just as the neo-Gothic pulpit by Goethyn from Ghent. The stained glass windows and organ by the hand of the brothers Vereecken are also from the same period.
Some of the sculptures are slightly older. The statue of Our Lady and Child dates back to the seventeenth century and the crucified Christ was made in the eighteenth century. Also note the nineteenth century polychromatic statue of Saint Joseph and child.
Verbeeck M. & Tack A. 1998: Inventaris van het cultuurbezit in België, Architectuur Provincie Oost-Vlaanderen, Arrondissement Oudenaarde, Kanton Oudenaarde, Bouwen door de eeuwen heen in Vlaanderen 15N2, Brussel - Turnhout