1457 Walhain-Saint-Paul (Walhain)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 10 am
This small natural stone bowl, elegant in its simplicity, dates back to the 17th century. The lid in copperware (worked brass repoussé) is specially worked. It is difficult to determine whether the cross is original...
The village wanted to commemorate the three inhabitants who died during the First World War by creating a beautiful bas-relief in cast concrete. A Virgin of pity, in the most fine neo-Gothic style decorates the middle.
Remarkable crucified Christ of the 16th century, marked by the years. The polychrome paint that adorned the statue has almost disappeared, following a long exposure to the outside. The ends of the cross, in the shape of a clover, are lined with golden quadrilobes representing the "living four" of Revelation (emblem of the evangelists): the eagle (John), the lion (Mark), the ox (Luke) and the angel (Matthew).
The altar of the side aisle (the church is north-south oriented) is made of cast concrete, an innovative manufacturing technique at the time. One recognizes in the middle of St. Cornelius, pope in the third century, protector of children and cattle. Both sides of the bas-relief represent Saint Nicolas, Saint Gregory, Saint Magdalene and Saint Hubertus.
The old communion bench, made of oak, placed back at the back of the nave (and partly reused as an altar) is from the same period as the church. It is decorated with biblical motifs of refined design: an Easter lamb, of grapes and breads, a seven-armed candlestick, the serpent of Arian of Moses (emblem of Christ the Redeemer) and the pelican feeding his chicks with his own flesh (symbol of Christ).
Three massive tombstones rest on the lawn to the right of the church. They represent couples of reclining figures from the 16th and 17th centuries, probably the old lords of the villages. Although they are weathered and damaged by wind and weather, the knight's helmet and glove can still be recognised.
1457 Sart-Walhain (Walhain)
1457 Nil-Saint-Martin (Nil-Saint-Vincent-Saint-Martin) (Walhain)
1370 Mélin (Jodoigne)