01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Temporarily closed for restauration
by Arnaud Destombes +33 6 09 14 91 51
Sunday 11.15 am
Tuesday 11 am
Situated south of the major sites of the Two Headlands,( les Deux Caps), the holiday resort of Wimereux has more than one asset. The sea front, the beautiful holiday villas, and the church are all part of the charm of this community on the Opal Coast.
The taste for holiday homes and sea bathing during the second half of the 19th century favorised the development of the village which has a church that was founded by Father Lebègue.
The foundation stone was laid 17th November 1866 and the church was consecrated by Mgr. Lequette, bishop of Arras, on 27th July 1868. It was finished in 1873. A plan for extensions was made in 1903.
The church was built following the plans of Mr. Bouloch, architect, in the 13th century style. It has three naves, and can hold 500 people. It was built of white stone and local blue stone (a type of sandstone). The floor is black marble from Belgium and local white marble.
Very damaged during the last war (1939-45) the church was totally restored under the direction of Father Delpierre after his arrival in 1952. It was finished with the consecration of the main altar on 27th July 1958.
On entering the church, the visitors’ eyes are drawn instinctively to the painted vault, before turning to admire the organ, which is a classified monument.