9961 Boekhoute (Assenede)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 16.00
Wed 9.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 16.00
Sun 9.00 - 16.00
Built in the time of Curé Lefèvre in 18866-68, to replace the ancient church destroyed by fire, the church of the Holy Cross was damaged on 19th September 1944.Its tower was dynamited, but rebuilt in 1950 and adorned with a new west tower with a portal and baptistry.
This sober but eclectic building stands out for its neo- Romanesque aspect and its imposing square tower.
Inside white plaster dominates. Some fine statues decorate this church: the wood statue of Saint Antione,the polychrome of Saint Roch and that of Christ on the Cross. The central and side altars are dedicated to the Holy Cross, to Our Lady and to Saint Barbara.
Other masterpieces to see are the stained glass windows damaged by the war and restored in 1950-51 and the Way of the Cross from 1871 by Frans Anseele. A rare marvel which is worth the detour is the tapestry ,11metres high and 2metres wide, by the German artist Mila Wiets-Getz.
On the village square in front of the church is a fishing boat (BOU 8) which is worth seeing.
The stained-glass windows of this church were made by various workshops. In the choir and in the side chapels there are creations from the studio of J. Dobbelaere. These were all made around 1900. The stained glass windows in the transept were made in 1939 by H. Coppejans from Ghent.
This woven wool carpet is the work of the recently deceased Polish artist Mila Wiertz-Getz. Its primary destination was the bottom of the main altar in the choir. The colours and composition of the work focus on the mystery of the Holy Cross. The composition shows at the bottom a praying and begging crowd, drawn to heaven by the sacrifice of the cross (the 5 small crosses recalling the 5 wounds of Christ).
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
This chapel has an exceptional symbolic situation. It has two separate entrances, one of which comes from the church. The other was designed in such a way that those who have not yet received the sacrament can enter it from the outside, without having to set foot on blessed land.
This statue of Our Lady of the Sea is known by the faithful as the "Silver Mussel Madonna". She received this name because two silver mussels were pinned to her to divert a plague of mussels threatening the village. The image was originally in the fishermen's chapel "Distress seeks consolation". Along with other remains in the village, this statue recalls the rich past of the fishermen of Boekhoute.
This Stations of the Cross was painted on canvas by F. Anseele from Ghent and dates from 1871.
It is located at the back in the church. Food was distributed to the poor there. The high quality of the decorative sculptures is exceptional. In the medallions, four paintings refer to the virtues: hope, charity, justice and faith.
9968 Bassevelde (Assenede)
9988 Watervliet (Sint-Laureins)
9968 Oosteeklo (Assenede)